Thursday, January 24, 2013

Zuppa Toscana

So whenever we go to Olive Garden Brent get's the endless Zuppa Toscana soup while I pig out on whatever my heart desires. This recipe is so good and almost, if not exactly like OGs. Brent text me today and said it is definitely as good as OG, even the 2nd day for lunch, I told him the worst part is that it's SO EASY! 



Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
 
1 pound Italian Sausage (I used the precooked polish sausage and only like 3oz of it, I always cut down on the meat and I could cut down even more)
1/2 T red pepper flakes
1 large white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 T crumbled bacon pieces (I used Hormel precooked bacon)
8 C chicken broth
2 C water
1 C half and half
2 large russet potatoes, sliced thin
3 C Kale, chopped
salt and pepper
 
I didn't follow these instructions and just cooked it how I thought it could be and it turned out great, not rocket science! I like the Kale to cook a little more than she does
1. In a large soup pot brown up your sausage with the red pepper flakes.
2. While the sausage is cooking, slice up your potatoes. Nice and thin, now.
3. Then quarter the slices.
4. Chop up your onions, and mince your garlic.
5. Once the sausage is cooked remove it to a plate, and pour your onions, garlic and bacon into the soup pot. Saute them, stirring frequently until the onions are transparent.
6. Add the broth and water to the soup pot.
7. Carefully pour in your potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the potatoes cook. Should only take about 10 minutes.
8. While your taters are cooking wash up your Kale.
Roughly chop up your Kale into small pieces.
9. Once your potatoes have cooked through, add the half and half,
and the Italian Sausage. Cook the soup just until it is heated through.
 10. Add your Kale, remove from the heat and serve.
 

No comments: